Friday, November 18, 2011

A Very She and Him Christmas Album Review






I have been a fan of Zooey Deschanel ever since I saw her in Almost Famous.  I followed her career and watched her blossom into a leading actress albeit with a quirky side.  So, when she formed She and Him with M. Ward I was all over it.  I bought their first CD the day it came out and loved it.  They followed that with She and Him Vol. 2 and now this is their third album. 

I think that a Christmas album is a good platform for She and Him.  Zooey’s lovely but haunting vocals evoke the feeling of a chilly snowy night while M. Ward reminds us that we can light a fire and drink some warm coco.  The track list includes: 
1. The Christmas Waltz 
2. Christmas Day
3. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas 
4. I’ll Be Home For Christmas 
5. Christmas Wish 
6. Sleigh Ride 
7. Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree 
8. Silver Bells 
9. Baby, It’s Cold Outside 
10. Blue Christmas 
11. Little Saint Nick 
12. The Christmas Song. 

First up is The Christmas Waltz.  The vocals slow the song down but the guitar is very nice.  In fact, I might say that the best part of the song is the guitar and piano break.  Nevertheless, its not a bad opener. 

Then, Christmas Day opens with an up beat guitar but what is up with the diphthong on the ends of the lines of the verses?  Singing 101 you sing “ah” not the “ee” in words like away.  I think it is an attempt to make the song even more up beat than it is but the result did not work. Also, I am not sure the background harmonies complement the song in a good way.

Next, Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas is a stripped down song and I have to say that I liked it.  It was a bit blues-like with the background guitar and the vocals are pure.  The arrangement adds some organ and background harmonies but they are minimal and the song shines.

I’ll Be Home for Christmas is very nostalgic.  It reminds me of those old Christmas song recordings.  I love Deschanel’s vocals in this type of song and this song is very pleasant. 

Then in Christmas Wish, we hear M. Ward for the first time on the record.  This song sounds like it could belong on one of their other albums.  There are nice harmonies and a nice, relaxed rhythm. 

After that, Sleigh Ride begins with an old country beat and then Deschanel chimes in with the verse.  It’s nice and upbeat.  M. Ward sings on this song too.  This version is very cute and it is well executed by the band. 

Track 7 is Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree.  It’s a rock and roll song but I am disappointed with the way the verses are sung.  I would have preferred vocals that are more classic.  Zooey sings wonderfully but cutting off of the notes just puts a hindrance on just how great this song could be for her, I mean the last note is awesome.  I wish the whole song were like that. 

Next is Silver Bells.  There is light guitar strumming in the background against the vocals.  I like that the vocals seem unprocessed but I would have preferred a slower tempo.  With a fast tempo, the song just seems so short. 

I was looking forward to track nine since Deschanel sang it in Elf.  It’s a good cover but I do not like how Zooey rushes some of the lines and all the flirtiness of the song is missing.  And, that’s a shame because that is what makes the song so likeable.  I think that decision was made to flow with the faster tempo but again it makes the song too short. 

Blue Christmas is a good showcase of Deschanel’s vocals.  This style of singing is better suited for her voice.  In fact, this song is very beautiful.  Also, the background instruments do not overtake the vocals, they are the perfect complement.

 Little Saint Nick busts open with classic She and Him harmonies (its one of the reasons why we like them).  This song is very sweet and a bit childish but it is a great She and Him song. 

The last song of the album is The Christmas Song.  Its also very bluesy with good vocals. It’s a great way to end the album.

Overall, She and Him put their spin on these Christmas tunes.  The second half is stronger than the first but it’s a good album.  It gets 4/5 stars.  My pick for a song to down load would be The Christmas Song. The album can be purchased here.

No comments:

Post a Comment