Saturday, December 10, 2011

Ceremonials Album Review





Sorry this review took so long.  I was just not happy with my review.  When I listed to these songs for the first time, I was being too nit-picky.  I thought to my-self, I don’t like this…I don’t like that.  But when you step back and just enjoy these songs, you hear just how great they are.  So, I spent time editing my review to make sure it reflects exactly what I think.  

My first encounter with Florence + the machine was through Glee.  I heard Dog Days Are Over on my Glee Pandora Station.  I liked it but when Pandora finally played the original, I was much happier.  I usually prefer Glee’s version of the songs they sing (I especially prefer the songs that Lea Michelle sings on) but this was different.  I love Dogs Days are over and I listen to it almost every day. So, when I saw that they had a new album out, I took a chance.

The first up is If Only for Tonight.  When she starts singing it sounds a little like and Adele song, just a hint in the beginning, then the drums start, which are perfect for her voice.  This song is a very good opener.  It sets a good mood for the whole album.  You feel like she lived these moments and emotions.  The melody is strangely perfect and I like that it ends with the faintness of that piano that started the song.  The only draw back is that I think that the engineer should have picked up the volume right before the “ayy-ahyy yea”’s start.

Now, on to track two.  It is called Shake it Out. Overall, it is a good catchy song, if not a little church-y for my taste.  The song stays strong but I think that it looses momentum in the end. 

The next track is three, What the Water Gave Me.  This is interesting.  I like it.  It’s an earthy sound; however, I am not a fan of the rock and roll break…not good for her at all.  What I do like about this song is that it tells a story.  And, with the exception of the bridge, the melody is good. 

Now, to track 4. This song continues with the narrative of the last song.  I like the ending but I think it is a bit too long.  I think after a while the “never let me go”’s are not sounding good (maybe a better mix would have helped?).  I also, do not like the last verse sung in the song.  I don’t think it sounds good.

Track 5 – I don’t like those fast notes in there.  I am not sure this song it working so far and I do NOT like the yelling/high notes.  I am happy that it has a standard beat but I don’t think that it is the strongest song on the album; however, I can see that it might appeal to listeners who prefer a pop sound. 

Track 6 – No Light starts with drums and then it breaks into a very fantastic sound scape.  It sounds like something you would hear in a Cirque du Soleil show.  Then the verse starts and it is beautiful and haunting. Then later the song breaks into a rock song sound. The only thing is that I think that the melody gets lost sometimes.  But it is a great song.

Seven Devils starts a bit creepy.  It’s a very interesting song but not radio friendly.  That would be my only reservation.  The chorus had great harmonies and keeps the creepy feeling.  I might venture to say that this is F+M’s version of a slow song.  Overall, this is a good song, it has its purpose, but I prefer the happier, faster songs on this album. 

Track 8 is Heartlines.  It is definitely a happier tone, but the tempo is slow.  It has a natural sound to it.  The melody is ok but the sound is a little too space-y for me and I do not like the vocal mix at time.  Also, towards the end of the song the drum mix is getting on my nerves.  I feel like they are “building” to something that never happens.

Track 9 is Spectrum.  I like the high vocals just before the drums kick in.  I like how this song has a better beat.  Just what I was looking for.  The chorus is very interesting.  Not what I expected but I like it.  I do like the ending of the song.  The sweet harp put me in a trance. 

Next, is All This and Heaven Too, the second to the last song on the album.  I don’t like the beginning sound effects.  I think it takes away from the song once the instrumentation begins.  The backing vocals are very church-y/operatic.  I like this song.  It reminds me of a church hymn. The only thing is that the words a hard to hear and understand.  I would sing this song in my car but it would be difficult because I wouldn’t be able to sing the words. 

The last song is Leave My Body.  The beginning instruments were not what I expected for the last song.  I thought it would be a happy song but it started more somber.  The chorus goes for a broad grand sound.  It has an interesting mix of progressions.  I like the progressions.

Overall, I like this album.  I read that Florence wanted to make it a continuation of her last album and I think that goal was accomplished. I think some songs really go there, and its great. Also, all the songs tell a story through the lyrics.  I really like that because the listener can make the song special for them.  I think that is one key for a successful band, and for the success for F+M.

My downloads are Only If for A Night, What the Water Gave Me and No Light No Light.  This album gets 5/5 stars and can be purchased here.


No comments:

Post a Comment